On the evening of September 25, 2019, the Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment (CCSI), the UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN), and Le Club des Juristes, with support from Iberdrola and under the guidance of Prof. Jeffrey Sachs, Special Advisor to the UN Secretary-General on the SDGs, and Laurent Fabius, President of the Constitutional Council of the French Republic, will host a conference to discuss the Global Pact for the Environment.
This conference, the third annual of its kind, will build upon the last two years of diplomatic efforts to promote the Global Pact and discuss opportunities to strengthen international environmental governance. This conference focuses on the ability of a Global Pact for the Environment, which aims to unify international environmental governance and codify a human right to the environment in international law, to support the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, including by linking the 2030 Agenda to the international environmental legal system.
Specifically, the conference will explore potential connections between 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Global Pact for the Environment, touching upon opportunities for mutual reinforcement and considering priority provisions for Global Pact negotiators to include to maximize impact. Panelists will discuss how a Global Pact could serve the three overarching pillars of the Sustainable Development Agenda, including to promote social inclusion and economic development in addition to environmental protection.
Confirmed speakers include:
* Joan Carling, Co-Convener, Indigenous Peoples Major Group for Sustainable Development
* John Denton, Secretary General, International Chamber of Commerce
* Francisco Duarte Lopes, Permanent Representative of Portugal to the United Nations
* Geneviéve Dufour, Professor of Law, University of Sherbrooke
* María Fernanda Espinosa Garcés, President of the 73rd Session, UN General Assembly
* Amal Mudallali, Permanent Representative of Lebanon to the United Nations
* Carroll Muffett, President and CEO, Center for International Environmental Law
* Stewart Patrick, Director, International Institutions and Global Governance Program, Council on Foreign Relations
* Carlos Sallé, Director, Energy Policies and Climate Change, Iberdrola
* Jeffrey Sachs, Director, Center for Sustainable Development
Satya Tripathi, UN Assistant Secretary-General and Head of New York Office at UN Environment