In our interconnected, rapidly advancing society today, innovation and entrepreneurship are becoming increasingly important. Columbia Organization of Rising Entrepreneurs (CORE) is seeking to inspire the next generation of entrepreneurs by working with the Columbia Global Center in Rio, Brazil to introduce high school students to social entrepreneurship and design thinking.
During our 5-day workshop, students will:
(1) adopt entrepreneurial problem solving and design thinking to yield social impacts (2) become familiar with the commonly used business model canvas and funding terms (3) speak to founders in Europe and United States about global entrepreneurship
(4) complete pitch decks and pitch their ideas to a greater audience
(5) become a part of a global network of high school students interested in social entrepreneurship
What this Course will Accomplish: In addition to the course objectives enumerated above, this high school workshop will:
• allow students at Columbia University to make an impact at a global scope, whether it be through direct instruction of high school students or through mentoring programs following the high school workshop
• introduce high school and Columbia University students to different startup ecosystems
• create a global network of high school and college students interested in social entrepreneurship
Day 1: Entrepreneurial Thinking - What is social entrepreneurship? Who is an entrepreneur? What problems exist and how can entrepreneurship be used to solve these problems?
Day 2: Business Model Canvas & Funding Strategies - What are the core elements of a successful startup? How does one understand what a business does and how it makes money?
Day 3: Ideation - Where do new venture ideas come from? How do founders tackle major social problems? Can one simultaneously improve society with a sustainable and/or profitable business?
Day 4: Pitch Writing & Making - What is the role of storytelling in the venturing process. How do I tell a good story? What does it mean to have a good story?
Day 5: Pitch Practices & Competition - Final touches on your presentation and perfect your pitches! What are the key takeaways from the course? How does this all fit together
Please RSVP to David Kinyanjui - email@example.com , cc: firstname.lastname@example.org by 23 July 2019
Program fee:Kshs.10,000. This will offset costs related to meals, event logistics, facilitator flight and stay. Payment can be submitted on the day of the event or through bank deposit/transfer to:
Columbia Global Center in Eastern and Southern Africa – Core