Positions and Internships
Position: Program Officer for Mellon Fellowship Program for Emerging Displaced Scholars
Job Type: Full-Time
About the role:
Columbia Global Centers | Amman is hiring a Program Officer to manage and coordinate various components of the Mellon Fellowship Program for Emerging Displaced Scholars. The Program Officer will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the fellowship program. In this role, he/she will work under the Deputy Director of the Amman Center and Program Manager to implement and manage the program, as well as serve as a liaison between the displaced emerging scholars and Columbia University.
About the Mellon Fellowship Program for Emerging Displaced Scholars:
The Fellowship Program targets advanced PhD students, post-doctoral fellows, and early-career scholars who were forcibly uprooted from their home countries and respective academic institutions for reasons related to the emergence of security concerns and armed conflict. The program commenced on January 1, 2020 and is ending on December 31, 2023. The four-year Fellowship Program aims to nurture a total of 25 emerging scholars in an academic ecosystem and provide them with learning opportunities to advance their careers and research.
Click here for the full job description and how to apply.
Interns will have the opportunity to work on the Center’s research programs and participate in local and international conferences organized by the Center. Participants will gain work experience and a global perspective that will provide a competitive edge in achieving their career goals.
Specific duties for the interns and volunteers are as follows:
- Provide help with English document (including research reports, conference summaries, and other Center publications, etc.) drafting and proof-reading
- Participate in conference and event planning and organizing
- Assist Center staff with any other tasks related to managing and running research programs or activities
- Assist in office management
- Preferably fluent in both Arabic and English with writing skills in both languages
- Excellent translation skills
- Strong sense of responsibility
- Good team player
- B.S./B.A. degree or above preferred
Required application materials
- English writing sample
- The name of the person and his/her affiliation who referred you to the Center
- Work availability
To apply for an internship/volunteer opportunity with the Center, applicants should send the above documents to [email protected]
After reviewing applications, we will arrange interviews with competitive candidates.