Jobs and Internships
Thank you for your interest in working with Columbia Global Centers | Mumbai. Vacancies, when announced, will be displayed below; if you'd like to pursue an internship at the Center, please email us at, email@example.com
Current Job Opportunities
Title: Grants and Communications Officer
Department Grants and Communications
Reports to Director, CGC Nairobi
Columbia Global Centers| Nairobi
Columbia Global Centers|Nairobi (CGC Nairobi) is associated with Columbia University’s global network of 9 Centers with a presence in Europe, South-Asia, Africa, and South-America. Together the centers aim to create opportunities in research, scholarship, and teaching. Each Center serves as a regional hub for Columbia University in achieving these goals. The Centers supports local collaborative efforts by faculty, students, and alumni. Each Center operates under the platform of research and education. The Nairobi Center’s thematic areas are Business Empowerment, Creative and Liberal Arts; Health Initiatives; Education and Knowledge; and Refugees and Immigration Studies. Ultimately, the Center aims to enhance understanding, address global challenges, and participate in the advancing and exchange of knowledge.
Overview of the Role:
The Grants and Communications Officer will be primarily responsible for the generation of all development and communication content, including grant writing, funding appeals, annual reports, web pages, and socio-media platforms The officer will support CGC Nairobi to develop and implement an external communications strategy.
Grant Management (50%)
- Research new donor prospects and identify viable foundations, corporations, governments, INGOs, UN Agencies, bilateral donors, and other institutional prospects funding opportunities in line with CGC Nairobi’s strategic plan and maintaining current knowledge of the donor environment and ‘map’ funding opportunities for CGC Nairobi’s programmes.
- Working closely with the Director and Programme Officers, prepare letters of inquiry, proposals, grant applications, and funder reports, ensuring that all data is completed accurately and on time. Edit and proofread texts of grant proposals and applications for adherence to RFP requirements. Liaise with CGC NYC to finalize submission.
- Work with Programs staff and the Finance & Administration Manager to develop strong proposal budgets.
- With the support of the Programme Officers ensure that regular grant management meetings are held, with minutes and relevant documents disseminated, and action points followed upon.
- Ensure that https://globalcenters.columbia.edu/nairobi donation section is a strong representation of our brand and our fundraising messaging.
- Develop and maintain a tracking and reporting system for grant awards, submittals, and prospects.
- Distribute and share with relevant staff copies of all grant documentation (grant proposals, reports, budget, etc.). Ensure comprehensive grant files are maintained up to date and are available for use
- Respond to ad-hoc requests from donors, CGC NYC, and other stakeholders for information on the CGC Nairobi programmes
- Monitor completed grant proposals and administration process to ensure timely application submission.
- Support the Director in the management of donor relations, grants/programme development related issues as needed.
- Represent CGC Nairobi in donor and other meetings as and when required.
- Lead the development and implementation of CGC Nairobi’s external communications strategy, ensuring effective communication across actors including, but not limited to donors and relevant partners.
- Edit and maintain the CGC Nairobi website, including engaging in daily review and update of content, content updates; reviewing the Center’s site regularly and ensure that all content is properly written and is consistent with the CGC’s branding guidelines; write and edits news, event listings, profiles, and initiatives, edit photos and create photo galleries.
- Responsible for designing and producing both print and online CGC Nairobi’s promotional and communication materials, including success stories, articles, videos, factsheets, brochures, marketing materials, annual reports, monthly/quarterly newsletters, presentations, etc. in line with CGC NYC, donor guidelines and the needs of CGC Nairobi for different audiences.
- Manage CGC Nairobi’s various social networks
- Engage with national and international media, through journalist visits, articles, press releases, etc. in liaison with the Director CGC Nairobi
- Ensure CGC Nairobi and if applicable donor visibility on all print and online communications outputs, on banners, and other items.
- Supports all CGC Nairobi meetings including developing and distributing agendas, calendar reminders, and scheduling, recording meeting minutes
- Develop and manage communication budget lines and ensure effective use of funds.
- And, any other duties as assigned by the Director.
- Excellent web communications skills, and a demonstrated understanding of the technical concepts involved in implementing web communications.
- Excellent writing, analytical, and research skills required to craft funding proposals clearly and compellingly.
- Strong professional networking skills.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree qualification ideally with a specialisation in development, research, communication, education, marketing, social sciences, or another relevant field
- At least a C+ in KCSE or equivalent.
- Minimum three years of grant proposal writing and research experience (including log frames and budgets) and donor reporting, preferably with an International NGO. Working knowledge of budget development and management
- Knowledge of donor mechanisms with knowledge of donor compliance advantageous
- IT skills, especially in Word, PowerPoint, and Excel with the ability to analyse data and interpret statistical information. An understanding of web technologies, including familiarity with HTML design, Photoshop, Google Analytics, Web development tools
- Ability to work under pressure, and prioritize workload according to the changing needs of the programme
- Must be able to work independently with limited supervision
- Good interpersonal skills
- Enthusiastic and flexible to work in an environment in which staff is spread across many time zones and with the ability to work long hours to meet the needs of the programme
To apply, please send 1) your resume, 2) a cover letter, and 3) salary requirements 4) certified copies of certificates 5)three recommendation letters to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference Communication and Grants Officer in the subject line of your email
We offer many events and programs that are open to the public - if you haven't already done so, we invite you to join our mailing list so you can find out what's happening at the Center.